Sunday, February 12, 2012

Book Review - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Title: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
Author: Stieg Larsson.
Publisher:Vintage Crime/Black Lizard.
Format: Paperback.
Pages: 672.
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Thriller.
Blurb:  Here.

This is going to be more or less a commendation post. This book entails all the praise I can imagine. I don't normally get sucked in to the hype,then again, I had given in to the hype about this book/movie. I still remember the day when R had decided to get me some books from Amazon. He had said 5 books would be the limit. I had decided on 4 books and couldn't decide on the 5th book and had hastily decided on this book. Boy, wasn't I in for a ride?!! This is the first in the series written by the late Stieg Larsson. I feel bad that this gifted author is no more.Nevertheless his works, by now has occupied a niche in the literary world.

My Thoughts:
When I finished reading this book, all I could think was 'How the hell did I miss reading this book?!!' Apart from the initial stock market, money laundering jargon, this book is everything, a crime/suspense /thriller fan could ask for.
Even though I had read the summary, on the back of the novel, it took a while for the story line to come into form unlike the movie. How do I know about the movie?? Well, R being the "smart" one watched all the 3 movies,Swedish version. :|| while I was hanging on to each and every word of the first book!!!! 

The book is divided in to 4 parts and in the beginning of each part, the author has mentioned the statistics about abuse towards women in Sweden. The book's main characters being Mikael Blomkvist & Lisbeth Salander continue so in the author's next 2 books.

In The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Mikeal Blomkvist is an investigative journalist who is forced to lay low due to a recent case which had back fired and his reputation is at stake. He takes up the position of a private investigator for the 82 year old legendary business man Henrik Vanger who wants Blomkvist to solve a mystery which has been haunting him for 43 years!
The mystery... To find out who murdered Harriet Vanger who is Henrik Vanger's brother's granddaughter! Pheww!! Thank God for the family tree illustration in the beginning of the book. I had to keep going back to check on the family tree since what follows next is a whole herd of the Vanger family! The names of people and the places vexed me a bit but that was no reason for me to stop. I have no idea how anybody would be able to watch the movie without getting confused with the characters. Some of the scenes in the book were so graphically depicted, that the reader would feel like as though they are witnessing the scene. Am I making sense??! Yea? Okay! Throughout the book you keep wondering, 'Who?','Where?','How?' 

Mr Vanger narrates the fateful incident of Harriet Vanger's disappearance from the island where the Vanger family inhabits. The old man suspects that a family member has murdered Harriet and seeks Blomkvist's help. Mr Vanger uses evidence against the person who crashes Blomkvist's career as the bait and an exorbitant fee to lure Blomkvist into agreeing to take up the project. Initially Blomkvist shows no interest, however after listening to Mr Vanger's story,the journalist is more than intrigued and takes up his offer.
Meanwhile, not far away is Lisabeth Salander, an anorexic, tattooed, pierced, punk genius, employee of Milton Security. A socially awkward, genius hacker with a photographic memory!!

The book shuttles between Blomkvist and Salander.Blomkvist hires Salander as his research assistant. As the chapters progress, the duo try to solve the mystery by digging out more and more skeletons from the Vanger's closet.
At some points, the suspense was way too much for me to handle that I begged R to tell me what is the ending. He wouldn't budge! I was tempted to go to the last page to check out what happens.Well, thankfully I didn't. The climax was worth every penny! It's one of those climaxes which will knock the wind out of you!Leaves you in a state of horrified disbelief!!

After the mystery of Harriet Vanger is solved,Blomkvist with the help of Salander gets back at the person who almost tarnished his reputation and career and all's well that ends well. As the mystery was unraveling, I literally couldn't put down the book.I was seen, pacing around nervously,biting my nails out (people who know me, they know for a fact however nervous/tensed I am, I NEVER bite my nails), cooking  and what not with the book in my hands!!

I cant wait to get my hands on the next 2 in the series. 

My rating:


4 comments:

  1. hahhahaha...u have said exactly what i felt about this book!!! I so much loved it that i couldn't wait for book 3 to be released. And when it was released, i was at the shop early morning and brought the hardback. Lol, the last time i was so excited was when The Goblet of Fire was released lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I liked your blog. I thought that we could do a few cross blog things.

    Would you be interested in reviewing my new book "Love, Peace and Happiness:What more can you want?"

    I could do an author interview on yours. I could also post your review on my fanpage referenced below which has more than 10,000 fans giving you a whole new set of visitors.

    Let me know if this makes sense for your blog.

    Rituraj Verma, author
    www.facebook.com/BookLPH
    www.riturajverma.com/blog
    email:riturajverma2005@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sparkling review but if I am honest, I borderline hated this book, my review was nowhere near as positive. Different stroked for different folks I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This review triggered the long lasting wish to read this book and all I remember is running to the book store to get a copy of this. I believe this was worth the money and the run :) and it was twist after twist which takes us for a ride , literally. Thankyou for the brilliant review and looking forward to the next two titles :)
    p.s: It is indeed a tragedy that this brilliant novelist didnt get a chance to express more of his world ! Maybe its a kind reminder to all those brilliant people around ...to start writing right away !

    ReplyDelete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D