Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Book Review - The Hunger Games Book 1


Title: The Hunger Games.
Author: Suzanne Collins.
Publisher: Scholastic Press.
Format: Paperback.
Pages: 374.
Genre: YA, Adventure, Dystopian.
Blurb: Here.


May the odds be Ever in your favor!!
Yet another book review of Hunger Games in blogosphere! Everybody seems to have already read the trilogy. Where was I till now? :| Strange fact: my less than a handful friends haven't even heard of this series!(Yes, I'm talking about you know who :| ) So there is no point in me raving or criticizing  the book :( They just wont give a damn! My only option, obviously is my corner here.

My Thoughts:
Where do I begin? There has been a lot of typing and backspacing going on here for quite some time now. Since its a trilogy there will be spoilers of some sorts.Well, I can stay out of spoilers for Book 1, however  in the case of book 2 and 3 it looks doubtful.
The Hunger Games is set in a dystopian future in the ruins of what was once known as North America now called Panem. One shiny, luxurious, extravagant Capitol and 12 districts from where the Capitol obtains different economic commodities. For instance, District 12 is known for its coal mines. Initially there were 13 districts, however District 13 was completely wiped out by the Capitol in a rebellion war. To remind the remaining districts the power and how far the Capitol can go, to keep the districts in line, they invented a bizzare game called the Hunger Games where a boy and girl from every district between the ages 12-18 are chosen to fight to death in an arena till a lone victor stands. The victor then,lives a life of luxury.
There has been rumors that, The Hunger Games is a copy of a Japanese book called Battle Royale . I haven't read the book, but as per Wikipedia's first few lines,the plot seems disturbingly similar. That was a quite a downpour on my enthusiasm :|| Thanks for that, R.Hmpph! With a little skepticism, I started off. What should I say, other than I was hooked, from like page1. Readers, this is one fast paced book so hold on tight. There were so many instances wherein I caught myself holding my breath due to the action packed suspense.
Katniss Everdeen, later known as the girl on fire volunteers to replace her younger sister, Primrose Everdeen for the 74th Hunger Games. Peeta Mellark, the boy who was chosen from district 12. Ladies, you will love him.Well, atleast I do. :d Other notable characters, Gale Hawthorne- closest friend of Katniss. Together they had gone on many hunting expeditions to bring food to their families tables, with whom Katniss can be herself. Haymitch-A victor from district 12, also the mentor for Katniss and Peeta.
Katniss is portrayed as a strong minded girl for whom her family (mother and younger sister) is both the source of her consolation and concern. On the other hand,Peeta-the baker's son. The ideal romantic. Great with words that the audience would eat right out his hand.
The action part-I was mortified by the idea where young tributes (24 of them) fight for their survival by killing the others. It was a little too much to digest. The saving part was the subtle 'real/unreal' love that Peeta and Katniss had between them during the games. I knew there was a triangle love story lurking in the horizon. More of that in the next book-Catching Fire.
The book is written in such a manner that you hang onto each and every word. You can feel the uneasiness building up as to what will happen next. What new horror would unravel.. Fast paced and the build up was just too much to resist.
The only thing which put me off was the author's massive detailing and explanation regarding the clothing and makeup of Katniss. Don't get me wrong. I am a clothes-makeup person. But this is a book of survival. Does looks really matter in the arena? I don't think so.Other than that a sure page turner!!

My rating:


P.S-Catching Fire (Book2)&Mockingjay(Book3) Reviews coming up soon.


1 comment:

  1. I think the first book of Hunger games is way better than the other two that follow.Catching Fire and Mocking jay are good books that bring closure to the riveting story of the first book but failed to impress me as much.It was a bit digressing and sort of predictable.I expected a lot more!Too much more I guess ;)

    ReplyDelete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D