Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sore throat? Have soup.

What do you do when you have a cold/sore throat? Have some medication and stay away from cold stuff and rest, raight?! However, when my R dearest had a bad case of sore throat and congested chest and nose, taking medicines went right outside the window. According to him, since the clod is viral - no medicines. Yea, that's what a scientist can do to you. They have their own set of weird  rules :|
What followed was days of kanji aka rice porridge. How I hate bland stuff like that. :/
Since the big guy started sounding like a frog, I had to find some way out. That's when I decided to spice things up by making a soup. I have never made soup before. All I have managed to make are the Knorr versions or the canned soups.
So chicken noodle soup it is, I thought.How hard can it be, you know..just throw in all the stuff in water and let it boil away.

Ingredients:

Onion - 1 small chopped
Chicken breasts- 2 cups shredded/cut into small bite size pieces
Ginger - around 1-2 inches
Garlic- 3-4 cloves
Green peas-1/2 -1 cup
Carrot -  1 sliced
Sweet corn - 1/2 - 1 cup
Ground pepper - As per your taste
Salt - To taste
Pasta/spaghetti or good old maggi/ramen noodles
Chicken bouillon cube- 1
Water




Method:

It cannot get any simpler than this.Cut the chicken into small pieces, pour little water and add a little salt and let it  pressure cook for maximum of 2 whistles. If you are using already cooked chicken,well and good. I didn't have any.Keep that aside.
Take a saucepan boil 2 cups of water and let it boil. Once the water starts boiling add the chicken bouillon and let it dissolve (you can also use chicken stock/broth). Once that's done. Add onion,ginger,garlic, and the veggies. Let them all boil. At this point check the salt,if required add more according to your taste. Add ground pepper as per your hotness preference. I kinda added a bunch of it. I wanted it sooper spicy so that the cold and congestion would evaporate off!
Now, add the cooked chicken. Stir it all up. After around 5 minutes add the noodles and let it cook. I let it simmer for around an hour.  Serve with a hot croissant or fried bread crumbs!


The croaking big boy now sounds more or less like a nightingale now 8)

Photos clicked by: Me



6 comments:

  1. hey what about vegetarians? minus the bird, will it taste as good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm..sorry girl. The flavour is mainly due to the chicken stock. when I find a good veg- soup you will know.. :)

      Delete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D