Monday, November 5, 2012

When the craving strikes!

Today afternoon, I was craving for some Chilli Parotta. I'm not sure whether that's the correct usage. Some say Chilli Parotta, some say Chilli Paratha. You know, like Tomaato - Tomaeto. We, mallus say parotta though. The last time I made tried making it, it turned out to be a colossal fiasco :||
For those of you.. who don't know what a chilli parotta/paratha is.. shame on you! No, but seriously it is supposed to be this vegetarian dish (some people do use eggs- I don't see what role the eggs play :o ) quite famous in Kerala- the lovely place where I am from. I am not quite sure how famous it is, outside Kerala. I still remember how I used to bug my brother to get us both chilli parotta/paratha from a neighboring restaurant. How we used to enjoy the piping hot goodness in a disposable container! Sigh!! Those were the good times :(
Anyhoo, like I said I was in the craving mood and I had to get me some chilliparotta/paratha. So the research for an authentic recipe began. My head spun to see so many variations for such a simple dish. I ended up tossing almost any ingredient I felt like using and guess what, it did come out almost similar to the one me and my brother used to enjoy!
 I have been thinking of sharing my recipes here, however the fact that I have zero photographic skills is like a thorn in a lion's paw :|| I won't say I am a great cook but I have come a long long way from a girl who thought boiling Maggi was cooking. Yeas I am was a lost cause!    

Then ,I decided-good photos or bad photos I'm going to share my recipe here. Here goes --

Ingredients:

Parotta/Paratha(fresh or frozen) 2-4
Onion- 1 finely chopped
Green chilli - 2 finely chopped
Garlic-3-4 cloves thinly sliced
Soy sauce- 1 teaspoon
Chilli sauce- 1 teaspoon
Tomato ketchup- 1 tablespoon
Chilli powder -1teaspoon
Garam masala -1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil to saute

For Batter:

Maida - 1 cup
Chilli Powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste



Method: 

Prepare the batter using the ingredients given above with a little water. If frozen parotta/parathas are being used,you need to cook it first. Once that is done. Chop the parotta into bite size pieces. Dip each piece into the batter and deep fry in a deep bottom pan or a wok. Fry till they are golden brown and keep it aside. Now saute the onion,green chillis and garlic. I used the same wok. Add chilli powder and garam masala and saute for 2 minutes. Add soy sauce,chilli sauce and ketchup and mix it well. Now, add the fried parotta/paratha pieces and mixit all up.Fry/saute for around 2-3 minutes and you are done!

Deep frying does the trick- giving you this crispy crunchy pieceswhich is later mixed with the spicy sauce.

Hot, Sooper spicy, Totally unhealthy,Enemy to your waistline chilli parotta/paratha is ready. Serve hot with some raita and hello bliss!!!
Oh ,one more thing, eat with your hands :D


Photos by : Yours truly.




9 comments:

  1. @Ash and manaNmind- Thankyou Ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! That made my mouth water.
    Since I'm still that girl who thinks boiling maggi is cooking, this time I go home I'm going to bug my mum to prepare this dish for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thanks hon!
      Enjoy the Maggi phase for now :)

      Delete
  3. I lived in Kochi for more than 8 years and never came to know of this super yummy looking (and hopefully tasting) thing :\ Thanks for the recipe, will try this one :D Oh btw, even I used to think boiling maggie was "cooking", so welcome to the gang ;) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that's weird :o
      Lol maggi considered to be cooking.. was me 2 yrs back :)

      Delete
  4. oh ur parottas reminded me of gud old college days.... :) i wasn't in Kerala but i was at a place which was full of mallus, so my college canteen used to have these parottas and i used to luv it .....nw the craving strikes here too, n there is no way i can get it .... coz i can't even boil maggi properly.... i knw that's such a shame.... may be i'll have to plan a visit to Kerala for this :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance you should definitely visit Kerala. Yes its noisy and crazy yet there are some beautiful places there too.. God only knows when I will go back to my place! :(

      Delete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D