Friday, February 1, 2013

Movie Picks- January

Almost 3 years back, TheBetterHalf realized during one of our chats that his wife-to-be  doesn't drop everything for a movie! o_O That was quite a shocker for him considering how much of a movie buff he is. He solemnly informed me that I need to catch up on a truckload of movies I missed which includes say.. The Godfather..What? Don't look so shocked, I read the books! and to start watch movies.. maybe like an average normal person. Anyhoo fast forward, movie buff marries bookworm and reaches United States. That's when I was introduced to the magical world of Netflix, shady websites where I can watch any Television show /movies and unlimited speed of light Internet connection. I found bliss. There is a GOD!

Sometimes I tend to over dramatise trivial things :|

Thus, the movie marathon began, ranging from Korean horror to Spanish comedy. So many that I don't even remember the names. Caught up with with some good movies like When Harry Met Sally, Forrest Gump etc. Yea shocker! :|| Judge all you want!

This year, I thought I will just keep a record of the movies watched every month. These are not movie reviews. Just so that we are clear! :|

1. Aiyyaa



Movie: Aiyyaa. (2012)
Genre: Comedy?!!
Starring: Rani Mukherjee, Prithiviraj Sukumaran, Subhodh Bhave.
Suggested by: Both of us. We were bored and this one was there in Youtube. Plus, we were curious about how Prithiviraj would be in a Hindi movie considering he is from the same state as we are.
The sunshine: The item numbers, Rani's dance moves, Prithiviraj.
The downpour: Just about everything else. I still cannot believe TheBetterHalf  and I watched this on NewYear's. Looked like as though the plot was tailored to fit the item numbers! Just saying. The story in a nutshell -The girl falls in love with a younger chap because he smells good?!! I tried, I really tried.. heck who am I kidding? The movie was a blasphemy! Good Lord, and to think she acted in Black. By the time the movie was over, I was brain fried.



2. No Country For Old Men

Movie: No Country For Old Men. (2007)
Genre: Crime Thriller, Suspense.
Starring: Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin.
Suggested by: TheBetterHalf.
The sunshine: We had to forget the above movie's torture so it was R's suggestion to watch this. Bless him. Based on a book with the same name. Movies based on books always pique my curiosity. The opening scene and I knew this is going to be an interesting one! Javier Bardem as villain. God, have you seen him in Skyfall? Since then, I have had a crush on this bad boy! Thinking about it, I seem to have a soft corner for almost all villains. Hmm..that's a lil odd, don't ya think?! Edge-of -your-seat dark suspense. I was constantly having this uneasy feeling as to what will happen next? The background score- I stress on this because there was none for  most parts of the movie. Silence - thus making your skin crawl!!
The downpour: The ending. The movie ends abruptly and we are like what thaa?! I guess I will have to read the book to get the entire essence of it.



3. Inglourious Basterds

Movie: Inglouriuos Basterds. (2009)
Genre: War, Action/Adventure, Dark Comedy.
Starring: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Michael Fassbender, Mélanie Laurent.
Suggested by: TheBetterHalf.
The sunshine: Quentin Tarantino. After watching couple of his movies, I knew he rarely goes wrong. The opening scene..took my breath away! Christoph Waltz- His language skills!! My my.. I seriously have an affinity towards the bad guys! Brad Pitt's accent. Funny in a macabre sort of way! The plot- many plans-one aim!
The downpour: Kinda long- more than 2 hours! There were some unwanted dragged out dialogue presentations.
Huge dollops of violence.- what did I expect. This is a war movie depicting a time during  WW2. The movie in short, was an unbelievable trip!



4. Carnage


Movie: Carnage. (2011)
Genre: Comedy.
StarringJodie Foster, John C. Reilly, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz.
Suggested by: Google.
The sunshine: Based on a play- God of Carnage. Star studded. The plot.  2 couples -Jodie Foster & John C Reilly and Kate Winslet & Christoph Waltz. The latter meet at the former's house to sort out a fight between their sons. The grown up discussion soon turns into an heated,  multi-hued argument-between the couples, between the women, between the men and just about every permutation. The alcohol induced honesty. Carnage prevails. Mr Watz's sarcasm. The movie length - 80 minutes.
The downpour: I didn't really like Jodie Foster's character. She was plain irritating, controlling and a real pain in all the wrong places!

                  



5. Gangster Squad

Movie: Gangster Squad. (2013)
Genre: Action, Crime.
Starring: Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn, Emma Stone.
Suggested by: AMC Theatres.
The sunshine: The suits & hats.The feel of 40s. The extravagant clubs. The vintage hair. Bright lipsticks! Emma Stone looked stunning! Ryan Gosling's swag! Badass Josh Brolin. Overall a very stylishly done movie. An eye candy? Sure!
The downpour: The plot-disappointment. It just didn't have any substance. Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn), the villain is supposed to be this big time psychopath who basically owns Los Angeles was barely there in the movie. :| The characters were half baked. The chemistry between Ms Stone & Mr Gosling didn't really click. One night they meet and the next moment they are madly in love with each other and she is still sleeping with the bad guy! Jeez! How cliched can it get?! Btw, they looked good together.



6. Silver Linings Playbook
Movie: Silver Linings Playbook. (2012)
Genre: Comedy, Romance.
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Tucker, Robert De Niro, Anupam Kher.
Suggested by: His friends & my friends.
The sunshine: Another movie based on a book. Eye candy. Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence. She looks ravishing in the new look- the messy hair do and I-don't-give-a f*k attitude. Other big stars. Story line is believable. Both Cooper & Lawrence does a great job at being bipolar and basically being f*ked up! Robert De Niro did a wonderful job as the football addicted father afflicted with OCD. Having said all this, I think it was Jennifer who stole the show! I loved her in the movie. The ending.
The downpour: Even though I enjoyed the movie immensely, I still don't think its Oscar material. Maybe it's just me. Chris Tucker. His sporadic appearances could have been avoided.




MoviePicks will be back by the end of February-assuming I watch movies the coming month!


8 comments:

  1. u have to agree it was something diff in Bolly to show a girl go crazy after a guy and do something about it :P but ya the movie was quite weird and I dint like it much either :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @susa- Yea I agree on that fact. But the movie was just terrible!

      Delete
  2. 'No country for good Men' and 'Inglorious Bastards' both are must watch movies indeed, We were planning to watch Gangster Squad, I dont think so we will watch it now :P
    Silver Linings Playbook was one of the best movies of 2012

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy both No country.. & Inglourious..! Gangstar Squad - like I said stylish movie with no real plot. So if you want in for an eye candy, go watch! :p

      Delete
  3. it's a lazy saturday afternoon here, n it's the only day i get an off in the whole weekend, n am sick of my course books hence landed on blog n this post somehow inspired me to open the collection of DVDs i've had and keep adding up to without even watching it all, n Godfather, is one of them ...lol... so may be it's time to take a break and watch a movie... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you did watch the movies in the weekend!

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to watch Inglourious Basterds for quite sometime now. A friend said he wouldn't talk to me until I watched it. :P Tarantino is a marvel, no doubt. You should watch 'Django Unchained' - another amazing movie by him.

    Silver lin..., No country... were a treat. I'll suggest you to try Wes Anderson's "Moonrise kingdom" as well. That movie makes it to my top 5 films from last year. And 'Argo' - a must watch by all means. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Django.. every moment was an eventful one! Argo is in my to watch list and I should def check out Moonrise. In the mean time you shouldn't miss the Inglourious!

      Delete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D