Friday, May 3, 2013

Book Review - Sharp Objects

Title: Sharp Objects.
Author: Gillian Flynn.
Publisher: Shaye Areheart Books.
Year of Publication: 2006.
Format: E-book.
Pages: 321.
Genre: Psychological Thriller, Suspense, Crime.
Blurb: Here.


Once I was done with Gone Girl, I had to read Flynn's other works. I got hold of Sharp Objects and finished it in a day.

My Thoughts:
Camille Preaker, a journalist in a mediocre newspaper, heads back to her hometown, Wind Gap in Missouri after many years to report on unsolved murders of two preteen girls. In her attempt to get to the bottom of the murders, she has to face the demons of her childhood, her estranged mother, Adora and her wild half sister Amma. It is evident that Camille is a troubled individual who had a difficult relationship with her mother and how things got worse after her sister had passed away when they were young.
The aloof and hate worthy coddling mother, the distant step father, the vicious and grown way too fast 13 year old half sister, Camille's high school friends who live the so called perfect life, the town folks, the same spiteful gossip doing the rounds in the small town. I cannot start to tell you how well the sense of dread is portrayed in this book.
I knew what I was getting into, when I began reading Sharp Objects. One of the things which I noticed about in Flynn's books are that  the characters are not very likable and most of them flawed to some deep, irreparable level. Camille Preaker is no different.  She drowns out her troubles by carving words on herself, drinking heavily and by being promiscuous. Flynn's characters don't really ask for the readers to feel empathetic towards them. 

I was left horrified at many sections. Flynn is not the type of an author who steers clear from uncomfortable situations which makes her writing all the more morbid and dark and I love it.
Unlike Gone Girl where the author kept pulling the carpet right under our feet, Sharp Objects was a little more predictable..atleast to an extend. Flynn did a commendable job by creating a sense of dread throughout the book. I had to know what happens at the end and finished the book in one go. Flynn has given a new meaning to the term family drama.

My rating

P.S - Review of Dark Places by Gillian Flynn will be up soon.


2 comments:

  1. *delighted clapping*
    Yay...another Flynn gal like me!
    Though that isn't what I feel like during a Flynn book...oh no.Then I'm all buggy-eyed and on the edge.
    But do I love that woman or what.

    ReplyDelete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D