Thursday, August 29, 2013

Movie Picks - August

August was a pretty good month for movies.


 1. Wedding Crashers 



Movie: Wedding Crashers (2005).
Genre: Comedy.
Starring: Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams,  Isla Fisher.
Suggested by: TheBetterHalf.
The sunshine: Yea, I know I know. I never got a chance bothered to watch it in the past. I don't know why. One lazy Sunday afternoon, we decided to watch this for a good laugh. I so totally love Owen Wilson. The movie was funny & corny. It was a good timepass. Cameo appearance of Will Ferrel.
The downpour: Um.. nothing. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I saw it around the time when the movie was still new.


2. The Conjuring



Movie: The Conjuring (2013).

Genre: Horror.
Starring: Patrick Nelson, Vera Farmiga, Ron Livingston, Lili Taylor.
Suggested by: Me.
The sunshine: Ever since I saw the trailer on Youtube, me and Bestie eagerly waited for the movie to hit the theaters. Ever since I saw the trailer and the movie, I make sure I keep my closet doors shut, I tuck in my feet under the blanket at night. I require lights at night to go pee. Its mandatory now. :| Yes, the movie scared the bejesus out of me. I was impressed that it was a small budget movie with almost no fancy effects. The silent soundtrack. The actors have all done a commendable job. The sequel is coming. They say all of this is real. It is some scary sh*t and these people do really exist!
The downpour: The ending and only the ending. After such a scary ride, I felt the ending was just way too quick and lukewarm.



3. Elysium 
Movie: Elysium (2013).
Genre: Sci Fi, Action.
Starring: Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley.
Suggested by: A colleague of TheBetterHalf.
The sunshine: I did not have much expectations. After watching Oblivion, I thought this is yet another 'Earth is no longer the right place to live' kinda movie. It kinda is. However  the movie was surprisingly good. It was a visual extravaganza. Matt Damon. I liked the antagonist chap. The fact that an Indian guy is the President of Elysium was amusing.  Thankfully, they kept the ending realistic as far as the movie is concerned.
The downpour: Nothing really. If you watch the movie as a cynic, you might roll your eyes a bit. Watch the movie like as though anything is possible. For example, a complete restructure of a mashed up face in a couple of minutes is cakewalk in Elysium.


4. District 9


Movie: District 9 (2009).
Genre: Sci Fi, Indie, Thriller.
Starring: Sharlto Copley, Jason Cope.
Suggested by: Me.
The sunshine: After watching Elysium and thoroughly enjoying it, I checked out other movies by the same director and this seemed interesting.  Taken in the form of  a documentary. Very realistically done. This movie made me feel sick. When I say that, it means it was so brilliantly taken that I couldn't really bring myself to look at the screen sometimes. The protagonist in this movie is the antagonist in Elysium. The chap is a gifted actor. Again , as far as the movie is concerned, the ending was realistic. Saddening but perfect ending in my opinion. It seems there might be a sequel. 
The downpour: That it made me squirm in my seat which is not a bad thing actually.  I didn't eat my dinner that day so this movie left me hungry. Yes that is the downpour. :|


5. We're The Millers


Movie: We're The Millers (2013).
Genre: Comedy.
Starring: Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston, Emma Roberts, Will Poulter.
Suggested by: Me.
The sunshine: Absolute Riot. I loved everybody in this movie. It was just a lame ass funny movie which I enjoyed from beginning to end. Laugh out loud comedy. The movie theater was booming with laughter. The plot is not heavy funda. It was the way the movie was directed which made it so hilarious and again the ending was not cheesy.
The downpour: Nil.

6 comments:

  1. Watched none. :( MUST STOP BEING LAZY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naa..be lazy :D You can always watch movies later.

      Delete
  2. wah ji wah! ye sahi hai..you chose only safe movies.. :P What better way to avoid controversies! lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were there any recent 'controversial' movies? I didn't quite look for them though :p

      Delete
    2. I don't mean to sound rude but there actually were-
      1) the reluctant fundamentalist
      2) The imposter
      3) I think Django unchained might also qualify for this list
      4) The Iron lady also raised many brows
      5) Invisible war screams to be on this list.
      6) Finally,the da vinci code which was such a lovely piece of work but instantly came under fire like the book

      Delete
    3. Whoa! Easy there boyie :p
      Out of the 6 movies which you mentioned I did watch Django (which I loved immensely) and da vinci code.
      And no you are not being rude. I am new to this whole 'movie watching on a fairly regular basis' and I will keep the other 4 movies in mind and maybe watch them in the near future :)

      Delete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D