Thursday, November 28, 2013

Book Review - High

Title: High.
Author: Corey M.P.
Publisher: French Press Publishing.
Year of Publication: 2012.
 Format: E-book.
Pages:248.
Genre:Chick Lit, Romance.
    Blurb: Here.

I thought I had washed my hands of Romance/Chicklit.. and then I read High.

My Thoughts
A stressed, workaholic woman leaves her cocoon of routine and embarks on an impetuous trip to find herself sitting in a coffee shop in Montreal. Sonja Fines, the protagonist of the story is yet again buried under her work load while everybody else in her office is making plans for July 4th weekend. On an impulse she misses an important meeting and flies to Montreal. Spontaneity has not been her forte and she is still reeling from the shock when, enter the hero : Chad Miller, a laid back & charismatic chap. Things click between Sonja and Chad and there seems to be an instant chemistry. 
High is one of those chick lit books, which is not high on mush but mostly concentrates on the subtle sides of romance. The author also introduces the readers to Montreal and everything about the place screamed romantic. She doesn't bore the readers with in-depth geographical details, but draws a breathtaking picture on the delicate things in Montreal. The coffee shops, the roads, the people, the French influence. After reading  the book, I have this huge desire to visit Montreal. 

 
True to the title of the book, its a love story between two caffeine lovers. It also is a book about Sonja's self discovery. She thought she loved her life and job in Manhattan. However, the impulsive trip and her feelings towards Chad makes her realize a lot more about her life. It's a book where girl meets boy and also meets a new side of herself she didn't know existed. The rapport between the characters were very realistic. Conversations had a sense of fluidity to it. It didn't feel forced upon. The readers would feel for the duo. Few scenes were a lil bit on the 'too good to be true' side, but then I can be a cynic. So, we will flow along, yea?
High focused mainly on the small yet huge things in life and love. That's what I loved about it. A feel good, dreamy and easy read. 
P.S: I loved the cover. The brown coffee beans against the yellow background. It reminds me of peaceful early mornings and a nice cup of steaming coffee. The author being a graphic designer, designed the cover.


My Rating:


4 comments:

  1. Seems good. Will pick it up today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      It was free in Amazon for a while.

      Delete
    2. How do u come across such books ? May be too light for my age. Sounds prejudiced? But your gives the feel of reading the book.

      Delete
    3. Its an easy read. Like I mentioned above, it was free in Amazon.com. I love free (kindle) books anytime ! :)

      Delete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D