Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book Review - The Lover's Dictionary


Title: The Lover's Dictionary.
Author:
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
Year of Publication: 2011
Format: E-book.
Pages: 211.
Genre:Contemporary, Romance.
    Blurb: Here

My Thoughts
The Lover's Dictionary has got to be one of the most refreshing books I have ever read in the genre of romance. The story is written in the form of dictionary entries. A little more than a handful of words, cleverly selected to suit the occasion and the author goes ahead to concoct a wonderful love story. To be truthful, there is nothing exceptional about this story. It's the manner of description, which makes the story stand out. It has both, the highs and the lows of being in love. There are no characters as such. A nameless couple mentioned as You and I. That's the beauty of it. It could anybody's love story. The story is portrayed with a keen sense of understanding the various shades of love. I would be lying if I said I couldn't relate to some parts of the story. More than a few sighs did pass my lips. 


The level of cheesiness is toned down to barely there, while the author continues to write about the doubts felt at the initial stages of the relationship until the point when you are sure of the person you are with. The nameless couple in the book are unique and mundane in their own way and it is pretty darn sweet how they find love in themselves to give to the other. The love story is not perfect. It is messy, a little awkward and also manages to hit the cheat mode. Yet, it is beautiful, endearing and heart wrenching.
I was pretty impressed how skilfully the author picked those particular words and constructed a story based solely on them. I mean, there are like a gazillion words in a dictionary! To choose the words that he did must have taken some ample amount of dedication and patience. Some of the pages had just one sentence on them. My only problem was it got over too fast, way too fast. The book made me smile, sigh, tear up a little and even laugh out loud. A quick read. Hats off to his creativity, presenting to the readers a love story with a different approach. I think it has paid off well. By the end, I had highlighted almost three quarters of the book.


My Rating:
 Rating Policy









5 comments:

  1. I would like to read it just by reading your brilliant review. Not in an age to romance, but still want to take a chance . May be there is time left for more in life. Gee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It's a really short read. You can finish it just like that. I would like to believe that romance does not need age as a limiting factor!

      Delete
  2. This is one of first book I ever picked up after moving to The US. Brilliant usage of words to construct a cute story!! Glad you enjoyed it, and yes, it was quick read. Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D