Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review - Creep

Title: Creep.
Author: Jennifer Hillier.
Publisher: Gallery Books.
Year of Publication: 2011.
Format: E-book.
Pages: 357.
Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Suspense, Crime, Psychological Thriller, Horror.
Blurb: Here.

My Thoughts:
I am so angry right now. I cannot start to tell you how pissed off I am. Why you ask? Did you read the blurb? Sounds interesting? WRONG!  I was fooled by the same blurb and the raving reviews in goodreads. Damn you goodreads ! Sometimes you give me the worst kind of recommendations! Since I didn't get my hands on any satisfying psychological thrillers this year, I thought this one would be a good start.
If you are still reading, I will give you the plot in a nutshell. Sex addict woman has an affair with a guy 16 years her junior who turns out be a psycho and she is already engaged to an alcoholic. Yes, that's the story. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. What follows is 357 pages of pure agony. The protagonist Sheila Tao a psychology professor is engaged to ex NFL player/now recovering alcoholic Morris Gardner. To spice up things, we are introduced to Ethan Wolfe with whom she had an affair for 3 months. A dime a dozen plot. I still thought, there would be something different. Sheila is unbelievably good looking and very successful in her job as a psychology professor. Ethan is unbelievably good looking and cocky. Morris is unbelievably huge and beautiful :|  Yes, Beautiful. It's laughable how the professor who is an expert in human behavior cannot sense the "badness" in Ethan. The woman, I tell you has got the worst taste in Men. I have no idea how this book received 171 five stars in goodreads. Am I missing something? If so, I don't want to know. Very rarely do I get pissed off by a book but when I do, then it is rants everywhere!

 photo 615_zpsc3284ada.gif

Among the many many factors that pissed me off there was one reason which was like the cherry on top. The author trying to create flawed characters. Personally speaking, I love flawed characters, but a sex addict, an alcoholic AND a psychopath. Sometimes too much is just TOO MUCH! Within the first few pages, I hated everybody and wanted everyone dead. Paragraph after paragraph filled with unnecessary dragged out details so not relevant to the plot.. There is a mention of a murder in the book but the author was so busy trying to make the dysfunctional triangle love story creepy to us that the murder mystery was conveniently wrapped up in a corner. There were attempts at making the plot titillating. It felt like reading a cheap pulp fiction, which further led to a whole lot of eye rolling and exasperation. They call it a thriller. Let's make few things clear. There is absolutely no thrills, no suspense, no page turning anticipation. A long drawn out predictable story and all the time I was like "what was the whole point?" It felt like chewing cardboard. :|

 photo 216_zps2dcb3675.gif
What in God's name am I reading?
 
The bad guy was JUST not scary. I should say I felt that he was some kind of wuss. So much was done to portray him as oohh-so-dark, ooh-he-so-messed-up. There was no character development. Just some random details piled on the readers every now and then. I hated every single one of the characters. I thought I will just stop reading. Too many brain cells were getting burnt. Still I kept on reading. After many excruciating hours, all I felt was sadness and  extreme anger at the lost hours. I know I didn't have to finish the book. Nobody was pointing a gun to my head to finish the book. But like bookworms everywhere, I just had to finish. I just kept hoping it's going to get better. I thought maybe the author is going to take a sharp swerve and throw all the readers off their goddamn seats. Aah well, nothing of that sort happened. The ending, Lord the ending. It was such a feeble attempt to send 'shivers' down the spine. :| Turns out, there is book 2. Haa!


My Rating:



10 comments:

  1. hahahhaahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..........
    OhDear Lord, I am happy you read a pathetic book because what came out of it is this brilliant review. LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chewing cardboard? Hahaha.

    One of your best reviews ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree the blurb is deceptive. I was thinking of reading this book, good that I read your review. Decided not to pick up this book. I know we have similar taste in books like Gillian Flynn and Psychological Thrillers. You should try Chevy Stevens books. I would highly recommend 'Still Missing'. It's as close to Flynn's twisted writing.
    Honest and wonderful review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you decided against reading it, Ini. 'Still missing' is in my to read list. I will get to it soonish. Thanks for the recco. :)

      Delete
  4. THE best review.. I read the review twice.. :) :) As red said.. I am happy that you read this book and gave us this brilliant review.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you guys are all happy :D
      Thankyou Me girl!

      Delete
  5. Bwahahahahhaha!!! There is a second book too.. ohmygod!

    Your reviews have helped me soooo many times Anisha. Here is a big THANK YOU because I can see that you have to go through some real crazy stuff as well.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D