Saturday, March 15, 2014

Reading Minds

It would be a blatant lie if you said you spent every waking hour thinking of her. You didn't. You have a life, your own things to worry about. At the same time, it's not that you didn't think of her. You so did. She had this knack of creeping into your thoughts. Unannounced and demanding, she would enamor your whole being. It never ceases to amuse you how even the most mundane things seem to remind you of her.
A long forgotten song would straight away take you to the sleepless nights you both spent talking on the phone. Time spent simply listening to her voice. After what seems like minutes, she would fall asleep and the call not yet disconnected. You do not disconnect, you spend some more time listening to her light snoring. She would deny it with a vengeance if you ever told her about the snoring. A random fragrance would remind you of her scent. You were not sure whether it was her perfume or her shampoo. Heck, you didn't even know how to describe the fragrance. Was it fruity or flowery? A whiff and you had her gushing through you.
You would be going about living your humdrum life, when your mind is bombarded with her thoughts. It would suddenly and  inevitably light up every cell in your being, like fireworks on a moonless night. You would smile, shake your head in slight disbelief. How can an unassuming girl steal your mind and leave you aching for the next time you meet.



You realize that you are an absolute cliche when it comes to her. You would be reading and before you realize, you had been reading the same line for the past five minutes. Yet again, she has come and conquered your thoughts. Her laughter, her insecurity over her laughter. The way she averts her eyes when she catches you staring. You love how easily she blushes. Little pink splotches on her pale face. She is a shy girl but pretends otherwise.
You could barely hide your surprise, how easily she took your hand for the first time and held them. Taking the 2 steps between you both, she had held your face, smiled self consciously and proceeded to take your breath away by kissing you. You had given so much thought about your first kiss and never expected it the way it turned out. Thinking about the kiss you wonder, whether it was you who was the shy one! You wonder how you both clicked. You were both as different as night and day. In your mind, she would be the night. A starlit night in the woods with the moon in all its glory.
 She asks you, do you ever think about me when we are not together? You almost laugh out loud at the absurdity of the question and answer yes, ofcourse you do. You notice that her smile has faltered. She has most likely misinterpreted your lame grin. She remains quiet, silently urging you to continue. She expects more than that. You don't say anything more. She is obviously disappointed. If only she could read your mind.
-Anisha

18 comments:

  1. Some fiction seems so real that you almost want it to be true. I loved reading this one, Anisha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou P. I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  2. Mushy stuff is perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon. short and sweet post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS. THIS GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS!!
    What a beauty!!
    ah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This si so beautifully written anisha.. :) Loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one those pieces that I am sure a lot of people can relate to. I could almost feel myself in the story.. If you know what I mean. Very beautifully and elegantly written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean :)
      Thankyou Nidhi.

      Delete
  6. I don't know about anything, but whenever I see a certain someone, a song plays in my head,

    I'd like to see you, thought I'd let you know
    I wanna be with you everyday
    Cause I've got a feeling that's beginning to grow
    And there's only one thing I can say

    I'm ready - to love you
    I'm ready - to hold you
    I'm ready - I'm ready
    Ready as I'm gonna be


    Beautiful post!

    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certain person sure is lucky! :)

      Delete
  7. Awww... heart into mushy puddle of goo again! This is sweeeeeet :)

    It sure feels good to get my blog off-hiatus, catch up with my favourite blogs and leave comments! Yep - 12th boards just got over today, and finally I can relax a bit. Btw, I really did yell "Dobby is a free elf!" as I got out of the hall :D

    I see that your Goodreads widget shows that you're reading Sea of Monsters right now. How's the PJO experience so far???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Zainab :)
      Haa the boards are over, huh! Nice. You can chill for some time, if you are not into the whole entrance exam drama.
      Yes, yes You were the one who recommended PJ series. I am still in book 2. I am liking it so far but not yet loving it. I heard that the books get better as the series move forward. Let's see.

      Enjoy your free time sweet girl :)

      Delete
  8. Ah.. those pretty words! There were parts where I could very well connect with the girl.
    You weave magic Anisha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mirage :)
      Means a LOT to me!

      Delete

Make me a happy bunny, would ya? :D